Tomorrow is a public holiday but the kids have school so Hiroshi and I will explore this older side of town for a story I am writing called "Tokyo Life 100 Years Ago." Basically, it's a guide to various shops that have had a history of over 100 years. I'm blogging our schedule.
From 10 am: We're going up to Kameido Tenjin Shrine to check out some of the street shops including: Edo Cut Glass, a third-generation artisan who specializes in glass wind chimes and the glass artisan's guild showroom, and the Funabashi-ya, the first kuzumochi (a kind of Japanese sweets) shop.
Around 11:30am: Then we're going to take a taxi to the Nakagawa Waterway Station Museum which shows how the canals contributed to the commerce of the Edo period. But we're really there to watch a special exhibition of an artisan handcarving a Edo style fishing rod.
Around 1 pm: We go from Higashi Oshima to Morishita and check out an old preserved food tsukudani shop. Then finally, we get to have lunch, a historical Edo meal of rice simmered in a miso and clam soup, Fugakawa meshi. Then we check out some senbei (rice crackers) shops but they don't "officially" fit because they only have a history of about 70 years, they'll make a sidebar. At 3pm, we pick the kids up from school.
So we'll cover two types of traditional Edo crafts and three types of food. I decided to pass up the hair decorations made from tortoise shells. (Poor turtles...)
I've been researching this story all morning. I think it'll work out. Now it's time to do MWW (technical translations..). Procrastination... Stress comes from proscrastinating about doing things I should be doing but are putting off... so here I go!!
From 10 am: We're going up to Kameido Tenjin Shrine to check out some of the street shops including: Edo Cut Glass, a third-generation artisan who specializes in glass wind chimes and the glass artisan's guild showroom, and the Funabashi-ya, the first kuzumochi (a kind of Japanese sweets) shop.
Around 11:30am: Then we're going to take a taxi to the Nakagawa Waterway Station Museum which shows how the canals contributed to the commerce of the Edo period. But we're really there to watch a special exhibition of an artisan handcarving a Edo style fishing rod.
Around 1 pm: We go from Higashi Oshima to Morishita and check out an old preserved food tsukudani shop. Then finally, we get to have lunch, a historical Edo meal of rice simmered in a miso and clam soup, Fugakawa meshi. Then we check out some senbei (rice crackers) shops but they don't "officially" fit because they only have a history of about 70 years, they'll make a sidebar. At 3pm, we pick the kids up from school.
So we'll cover two types of traditional Edo crafts and three types of food. I decided to pass up the hair decorations made from tortoise shells. (Poor turtles...)
I've been researching this story all morning. I think it'll work out. Now it's time to do MWW (technical translations..). Procrastination... Stress comes from proscrastinating about doing things I should be doing but are putting off... so here I go!!