Okay Nancy, I'm blogging again. But no pictures though! So READ IT, it's English, you have no excuse. I know people are expecting pix of our ski trip but there are none. We stayed at two different hotels and I was certain I'd leave some part of my camera at one of them. I should just buy new batteries for Hiro's old Canon digicam. Won't be too upset if that got left behind.
This season we all got our own skis and boots which allows us to go to resorts where ski rentals are not included. Previously, we had specifically chose packages which included free ski rentals. That often meant older inns located in farther, remote places. This year, we went to the Karuizawa Prince Ski Resort twice and enjoyed it immensely both times. The convenient location makes it very attractive.
Koky, if you are planning to go, print out this coupon.
http://www.princehotels.co.jp/ski/karuizawa/coupon/
On the weekdays, it includes a free lunch coupon in addition to the 1,000 yen coupon. (It's the fine print kanji) The drive is easy though there is one patch of highway that requires snow tires or chains, so rent a van specifically equipped with snow tires.
Naeba Prince also has great weekday deals we are looking to take advantage of during spring break. For the first part of vacation, we are booked at a little inn for the kids' to take their ski exams at Madarao.
Skiing is a big part of our family life in the winter and spring. We have even considered buying or renting a condo. But going away more than we now do would mean being unable to "catch up" on chores, more chaos, less homework done.
On the work front, just found out I lost almost $2,000 US on the crappy exchange rate. Should have asked for a bank cheque in Euro and hoped the exchange rate improves within six months. Will definitely do that for the next issue. Then just found out our client is cancelling one issue for 2009 only. In 2010 though, schedule is back to three issues. Junko, doesn't look it Alfa Laval will come through either. Marketing budgets are tight this year. Wow, looks like the economic doldrum has hit me harder than just Yahoo auction prices going down.
We are lucky though that because Hiroshi works for a government agency, our household income is not largely affected. Yes, there are cutbacks here but not in real salary and benefits. Economic news are still bleak but tighening up operations will eventually mean corporate improvements. Maybe not this year, but I am hopeful for 2010.
I am getting my butt off the computer and doing my work-out. Finishing a writing project for my own interest made me feel strangely accomplished. But now, got to catch up on my bohjutsu practice. Got my photography books to check out. Learned a new technology tonight though... just something everyone else already can do, but hey baby steps are still good if it's in the right direction!