Saturday, December 6, 2008

May the force be with you, CMH

Meri recently asked me about starting out in journalism, in particular, to advise her daughter. So this is for CMH.


When I reflect back on my career, I would say without a doubt, the most exciting and rewarding period was when I wrote for my university newspaper. Why because there was no commercial angle to the stories. Basically if someone wanted to cover a news story, it was published. Now university students are an opinionated lot and commentaries and views were usually backlogged because it doesn't take that much effort to spew out opinions. News stories though were different. They weren't about YOU, they were about other people. And they required legwork, so the number of people willing to report news stories were significantly less. Yet they were about YOU because YOU get to decide which stories to cover and what angle to focus your story on. So reporting is like being a television director and not the anchor. But it was a role I relished. I don't enjoy being in the limelight, being backstage meant getting more done and less scrutiny, and that is my style of working. And if this style appeals to you, then journalism is a good place for you.


Possibly the best moment I've ever had as a writer was when I was ambushed by another student outside the bathroom. She had seen my photo in the paper and said, "You must be Carol Hui. Let me shake your hand because everything you write is what I think but don't know how to express it. And you do it for me. Thank you."


It's easier to read than it is to write. In the world of blogging, everyone has a chance to be ambushed "virtually" for writing someone that touches someone's heart and brain. My friend Holly does political entries that others say "Yes. Yes." And when my friend Pam wrote about her day shopping at Walmart on Black Friday, it made me laugh, nodding through the whole thing. Yes, I've had that type of day and never wrote about it but she did it for me. So in some ways, the role of a journalist is diminished and blogging has made connections through writing more democratic. So one doesn't actually have to become a professional journalist now to make your writing affect people in a positive way.


Every blogger is a writer, but journalists are different because of being there in the field. I went into journalism, wanting to save society, not particularly on a global scale because I had travelled extensively, from Venezuela to Israel to Thailand to the former East Germany. And already knew that travelling was nice, but I would be very lonely and hungry living in unfamiliar settings.

But having worked at a daily newspaper, I gave up on writing as a way to help poor people by highlighting their plight. It simply wasn't hands-on. I was to enter New York University to do a combined Master's degree in Social Work and Social Policy Planning. Even in my twenties, I felt poverty amongst single mothers and children was the single most important social issue in North America. I wanted to work for the Children's Defense Force, and then bring that knowledge back to Canada and start something similar. I would use my writing skills to get project funding, and I think my journalist background appeal to the school. My undergraduate grades were good, but not spectacular.


In the end, I didn't end up going because I had gotten a writing job offer I felt I couldn't refuse. The honest truth is I also wanted to be with someone who I thought was the Love of My Life... Yes, romantic relationship do cloud career decisions but I am of the mind set that when one door closes, another door then opens. I don't ever regret decisions.


A writing career is a place to launch yourself in various directions. Lots of people I know enter it in their late 20s and have done well. Many former colleagues are switched careers. My point is that many careers are fluid and you can move from one to another, so there is no need to "decide" on a career path. At one point, I was a college lecturer (on Sociology), a magazine correspondent and working on projects to increase women's job opportunities in Japan. My confused mother said, "What exactly do you what to be?" and I replied, "Exactly what I am now." Things just come up in life and like your mom does, just grab it when the golden ring is in your face. With your outlook on life, the rings will be aplenty.

I do have a former boyfriend though who may have the type of career you find interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/07/03/f-burma-qanda.html



Mike wrote for a zillion different publications before becoming the press person for Unicef. He started his career at an ethnic Ukranian weekly in New York, and a small town Canadian newspaper before heading out to Asia where his career took off. He doesn't have experience in international development but I suspect Unicef liked him because he has proven that he could get accurate news reports in countries where very little English is spoken. Now, he goes from Iraq to Myanmar to Afghanistan, taking photos and writing stories about children who suffer. But he had almost twenty solid years of experience before getting that job.

Another boyfriend who first went to China as an intern for Amnesty International, worked as a journalist in Asia for over a decade, is now an advisor to the French Minister of Defense as a Asian securities expert.

Journalism is a difficult field to get into. I felt applying for newspapers was foolish as they go through thousands of applications. To make my long story short, I got my first job at a magazine from someone I played volleyball with in Tokyo. So opportunities are everywhere. Just shout it out loud. Again, your mom is a good example to follow. And once, you get your first job, learn the skills of the trade, you are always going to be in the loop.

So I don't know whether I've been helpful at all... But I think it's wonder that you are already seriously thinking about your career at your age. I was like you, agonizing about my future!!! At my age, I now know that life makes decisions for people. You take the best of what is offered to you and you make the most of it. I'm sorry if it sounds so "May the force be with you." LOL

Truth is if I would have entered social work and left journalism, I don't think my level of happiness would be that different than what it is now. Char, you have too much going for you to really go wrong.

You must wonder how could I write this without ever meeting you? Your mom brags about your grades, which not only show intelligence but hard work ethics as well, which in the long run is more important than brains. You have excellent social skills, not being afraid to socialize with your mom's friends. And you come from a family that makes their dreams happen. You are witness to how dreams require sweat, hope and a little begging. (Like how how your mom sent you to Japan last year.) And she did. So Char, you are blessed and that's why I know whatever you do, you will make us all proud.