Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I came, I talked, I shopped

Brand new licensed F1 sportswear, boy's pit jersey, women's tank top and boys long sleeve shirt. $2.50 each. Purchased at the kid's school bazaar, donated by someone who makes these things. My kids aren't into F1 but our friends are so Dawn, Tony and Callum all wore their new F1 gear watching the races at 3 am!!!

"I came, I talked, I shopped." This is the way my sister's mother-in-law summarized my last trip to San Francisco! That's practically all my sister and I did and we just indulged and indulged. There is something about being a mom that gives us a license to purchase since we are not buying only for ourselves and we are buying stuff they actually NEED. See I was never really that into shopping before. But now it's a hobby, a passion -- specifically the art of buying things I want as cheaply as I possible can get it.

School bazaars are great places to pick up deals. The F1 t-shirts were great. Got a Gap hoodie and a Ralph Lauren shorts almost new for $1 a piece. But the biggest deal was getting used school uniform coats. The navy peacoats cost $300 new. Couldn't bear the thought of buying two. So I dashed to the coats and there were only really 12 available. Lots of moms are looking for used coats. I grabbed two and miraculously, they were both the right sizes!!! I bought them for $8 each. Told a friend and he said, "Wow, it's like winning the raffle!"



This is our families loot from the Asakusa trip. We love Japanese motif things. I got a business card holder and a pocket tissue holder. Rio got a fake dagger. Reina a box and a fan.
At Lalaport, our local trendy Toyosu mall, there is an exquisite Japanese motif store. Love browsing there.


This is my crazy handbag. It is actually a Coach limited edition bag and I love it. It's funny how only luxury shop owners recognize it as a designer bag. Everyone else thinks it's a whimiscal straw bag which it also is! I love Coach and have a plain black bag and a insignia one and wanted one more. Cruising online and found this. Originally $800, I bought it used for $70. I am hankering for another bag so around the spring... my birthday, I should be adding to my collection.

I shop at Yahoo auction (Japan's version of eBay) a lot. The thing is if you buy good used stuff on there, you can usually sell it for the same price. It is a drag listing stuff but I do it in one big lump four times a year when I have time. I have a separate account only for auction transactions and spend as much as I make on it. It's a fun hobby and a good way of getting rid of things. I've had such nice e-mails from happy buyers.




Books, this year I really lucked out on books at Juri's school bazaar. I think I spent $3 for ALL these books! Didn't have a good selection of grown-up books.
Most books I read are from the used English bookstore in town. If there is a title I desperately want to read, I will order it on Amazon but very rarely. I should really go there more often. I will go there soon because I have time and books ready to be traded in for. I will do a "My Favorite Books" post one day soon.
Went to a large used store the other day and picked out some really cute, brand new jewelry for a buck or two, a new Ralph Lauren polo shirt for Rio (Ralph Lauren sells well used on-line.), a gently used ski suit for Reina, and a new three-tier Japanese lacquer box for $10, they retail for $50-80! Even on the weekend, I picked up the first two Harry Potter DVDs for $3, less than rental!

It's amazing how much satisfaction I get from good shopping and good eating. Yes, I'm all woman!!