Sunday, October 5, 2008

The shortest ten seconds


This photo has nothing to do with the post except it points out that Rio has other non-athletic talents (like comedy!), enough to snatch a gorgeous little girlfriend. Honestly, isn't Yuka lovely?


Today was the kid's first judo tournament ever. They started at a local dojo in January and it's been a great experience for them. It was their first competition and we weren't expecting them to win, but just to participate and have fun.

Since the move, we had to wake up at 6:30 am and drive across town. Reina's first match was at about 10 am. It was quite exciting. Her opponent, a boy, won the point, a yuko, which is two points. But then Reina gets one back with a koki (?, can't remember the terms). There was still plenty of time for her to get a yuko, waza-ari or an ippon and win. She didn't, but it was an exciting match to watch.

We had to wait another hour for Rio's match and finally at 11:15am, it was his turn. Now Rio is no athlete. He started in sports late, isn't THAT uncoordinated but doesn't have the will to practice to get any good at any sport. Soccer or baseball is really out of him realm.

Rio's big Sasuke story is that running the 100m is an option at his sports day so he always opted out. But after watching Akiyama in Sasuke 17, we pointed out that he had bad eyesight and knows far more difficult for him to complete the course but he still tries. Hiroshi told him, "He's so cool just to be at the starting line." It inspired Rio to run. He did and came in fourth out of five.
He was elated. "Mommy, mommy, I didn't come in last!!" I had tears.

So that's Rio's background. Many of the nine-year-olds have been doing it for at least three years and they are good -- strong and have techniques. The other boy rushes for Rio and he manages to avoid the first attack. But the boy doesn't give up and the next attack, Rio ends up flipped flat on his back. An ippon (knockout). The match is over in about 10 seconds.

Rio really doesn't know what's happened because in practice, you keep going. But the referee signals for them to bow and leave the mats. He sits there for another hour waiting for the winner of his division to be determined.

Then he comes back. "I lost," he says and tears are welling up in his eyes. I give him money to buy an ice cream and he comes back empty handed saying all the flavors he wanted were gone. The tears area still at the floodgates. His sensei comes over and tells him it was a good experience for him. In turning around to greet him, I slightly elbow Rio in his left eye and he uses that as an excuse to bawl. I hug him tight. He keeps crying. It was the worst humiliating defeat you can have. But you know, I was so proud of him. It's all about putting yourself at the starting line. After his cry, he recovers and asks, "Mom, can I save the ice cream money to play a video game?"

My kids are not very competitive. We once saw a kid at the pool whose mom was dragging him out and he was screaming,"If I stop now, how can I get to the Olympics?" He was five. My kids like to win but they don't like to have to work hard at things, so they like to play. It's funny but when I watch them with their friends, it seems that more and more kids don't like to play games where there are losers. As much as I like their cooperative spirits, I also think they need to learn about losing and picking yourself up after a loss. The need to win hasn't sunk in, and may never, but that part is optional.

Anyways, it was an emotionally exhausting day, more for the parents. We took a two-hour nap after getting home! Still bummed out my camera isn't working. There was a hunky guy teaching sumo outside. Not fat, all muscles and wearing nothing but a loincloth!!! Sorry girls!