Thursday, October 16, 2008

Drumming up some excitement





Boy what a fun day! Accompanied Rio's class on a field trip to the World Percussion Museum. Yes, life is grand in a world capital!!! The tin drum sounded awesome. I was so fascinated by the different sounds it can make. There was an Tibetan drum made of human skull and skin, with a bone mallet. Wasn't anthropomorphic though, so didn't like creepy. My favorite was the African marriage drum depicting moon and sun. Like ying and yang, it's funny how cultures around the world all determined that men and women are opposites.

Rio and his class had a great time. He's not actually in this photo, but one of Rio's new buddies is the son of J-Pop's top diva of the 1990s. Got pregnant at 20, to a top dancer/choreographer. Quit singing to have her baby. Started a trend that it was acceptable for singing idols to get pregnant and keep working. Like many celebrities, the marriage didn't last but they parted amicably and unlike most Japanese divorces, their son see plenty of both his parents. Started other social trend, though not as prevalent. Anyways, this boy is kind, funny and smart. And he is awfully good looking too I'm afraid. But not treated any differently, never acts special.

Then had lunch with another mom and gabbed for two hours! Boy it was fun! And informative, learned a lot about the school. So Michiyo, I finally made a new friend!! Actually, got friendly with another mom on the field trip as well. I'm looking forward to planning the festival next week. Just gabbing, gabbing away.

Had my preschool aftercare day. How I love those little kids. I had to hug and hold a tiny three-year-old who cried for her Mommy. I have really bonded with some of them. Just two more sessions left. Going to miss them!!!