I am the type of person with a zillion things on her To Do List. That's why I prioritize. More often than no, I tend to say "later." If reminded enough times, I actually get around to doing things. Which is what this picture is about. Reina has been wanting to go to this fancy Kids' Cooking School. It's expensive and well, we can just cook at home together I promised!! Easier said than done. She's also been asking to have chestnut rice which is a seasonal dish because autumn is chestnut season. So I finally got around to finding a time to cook with her which was Sunday.
Orthodox chestnut rice is made from sticky "mochi" rice but we only had normal short grain. Easy enough. Just boil the chestnuts, peel, sprinkle some salt over white rice, mix in the chestnuts. It's not my favorite dish, but when the rice and chestnuts are piping hot, it's quite nice. Big brother Rio declared "My sister makes the BEST chestnut rice in the world."
The second dish is green beans and enoki white mushrooms wrapped in bacon. We zap the veggies. Then she rolls them all up and pin the ends with a toothpick. She tried to fry it but got scared. She started to hold my hand. It was so sweet. At the end, I sprinkle some shredded cheese to melt on top.
The rest of the chestnuts we made into a paste with butter, cream and cane sugar. Put it into a roll for breakfast. Yum! Just don't ask when will we be cooking together again.