Thursday, November 13, 2008

To kimono or not to kimono

Major PMS time. Nothing dramatic just general irritability. Can't believe Elsie can be annoyed and still find graphics for it... What happened to my idyllic Freedom??? Made one call to my editor, and signed up to write three stories. So I'm out working all day Saturday AND Sunday. Have more percolating too. With more energy, maybe I'd be happy and excited. Okay girls. This is what I'm like when cranky... Should just go crawl in a cave and come out only when I'm normal again. Bet my family would go for that.

Got to organize Reina's 7-5-3 pictures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shichi-Go-San When she was three and Rio five, we went all out and everyone got dressed up in kimonos at the photo studio. We opted not to go out to a shrine because the kids were too young and were exhausted just from the photo shoot. Once I learn to scan, I will include the photos. The kids were just gorgeous and the truth is the parents looked just okay. Now Reina's seven, we gotta to it again and she's so psyched about it. My idea was to just get her dressed up and got out to a shrine this time with Hiroshi's parents.

But then everyone has different ideas. Hiroshi wants to wear his own kimono, not a fancy silk one but a heavy cotton one that in photos will look very nice. Rio doesn't. And I don't either. It was fun that time, but you know by now, my philosophy with bothersome events is climb Mnt. Fuji once, only a fool climbs it twice. I don't want to do the kimono thing again, I've done it before.

What complicates things more is that Japanese studios require that you PAY $100 for using your own kimono and not theirs. It's like a penalty for not renting theirs. But I don't think that applies to the father's kimono otherwise I'm going to have a husband arguing with the photo studio... I'd have to borrow my mother-in-law's kimono (those things like 30 mins. to put on and are super tight) AFTER Reina's photo shoot or I'll be charged that $100 kimono fee... AND I have to do to a hairdresser's to get that kimono updo. Just thinking about that makes me so cranky, can you imagine me on the way to the shrine??

Reina wants us all in kimono. I just can't bother, she'll settle for just her dad. Rio and I will be the neutral background in navy and grey....

Did you know Rio came up with a new one for staying up late reading manga? No more reading using a pen light. This kid decides to "do the big one" at 10 pm in the toilet. He comes out WAY Later with a book in his pyjama waistband!

Today, his class is having a talent show. His performance is drinking a bottle of Coke and trying to say all the train station on the main Yamanote line without burping!!!! Last year, he drank a glass of Coke through a straw up his nose, then burped... What do I do with such a talented son?

I'm resting the blahs away the rest of the day. Hope everyone has a better one.