Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is Derek Jeter black?

Watching the extensive American election coverage. Started watching it last night and this thought occurred to me as I saw an image of Obama's grandmother. That woman is as white as white gets. Barack Obama is definitely biracial. Here is the question, is everyone who has a bit of black blood in America considered African American? How does someone define blackness versus being biracial?

I have a friend, an avid Democrat Abroad. He is of German descent. His wife is Thai. He is excited about this election and has told his children, "For the first time, America is going to have a president who looks like you." To my friend, Obama is biracial.

I am Asian and Canadian so I have no clue. I don't think there's a correct answer. Why do I consider Tiger Woods black when he is clearly multiracial. But I don't consider Derek Jeter black though his father looks like Reggie Jackson's older brother and I know he loves soul food and gangsta rap. Colin Powell never really looked quite black to me and once I showed my husband a picture and asked what he thought of the way he looked. "He looks like a typical white American politician but has kind looking eyes." Hiroshi could not believe he was black.

Despite being raised by a white mother, Barack Obama clearly has proven himself black because of his social and political activity, so I think to call him the first black American president is a correct statement.

Just for people to get a view of American politics from another country. In Japan, Obama has definitely had more coverage naturally because of his blackness and his good looks. Sarah Palin has gotten more coverage than John McCain. She's been featured as a fashion icon and as the butt of jokes. All the SNL spoofs have aired on Japanese tv!!! But being the uber fashion-conscious country, female news anchors and politicians are starting to dress like her -- the dark suit with frilly blouses look. Weird. But then I do have her glasses. They are made in Japan and I had them before her!