Saturday, April 11, 2009

Same Old Story, Tired and Busy

Work is slow for me in April, so I should be happy and relaxed right? Umm. How come it isn't happened then? Maybe just maybe when I finish the Japanese version of the invisible suit story I can relax a bit. I know I have pitched two food stories to Adario which he approved open-endedly... and I know he wants the invisible suit too... but I am too tired after March to deal with deadlines right now.

All my organization intentions during the holiday went to the wayside during my busy work period. It now takes Reina 10 minutes to find a pair of socks. My "system" is not working. Sigh. I cleaned and sorted things for 5 hours today and so there is now some semblance of order... Don't know whether I'll get around to organizing things to sell on-line... I should but knowing that prices are so low right now doesn't motivate me much. At least it gets rid of stuff which I desperately need to do. New IS has their spring carnival for me to rid of stuff that I can't sell.

I have to write to Jo about leading a literary circle. I am happy to do it. I even have a couple of books in mind. Of course, that will take up time but I do love teaching kids, and not just my own. It's not something I want to do full-time but occasionally, I really get a lot of satisfaction doing. And the curriculum committee is starting up and I really want to contribute to that as well. Where will I find the time? I don't know. I really don't know. I always complain about being tired but I know I am happiest when I feel like I am accomplishing things.

Reina did her Kumon exam on Friday and Rio does it on Tuesday. I basically know the results, they are not quite at grade level in Japanese and most likely math as well. It's okay because that is exactly why they started Kumon a month ago and frankly, none of us are up to speed with it yet. Same time next year, we should be expecting better results.

Rio did point out that his level of Japanese has dropped significantly since switching schools. Well, he actually said kanji, but his writing skills in general have gone down. That's why I'm bringing it up at the curriculum committee to do weekly journals in Japanese and give kanji step homework every week. That's what they had at New IS, the shorter school hours shouldn't make the difference. There maybe parents who are not interested in their children learning so much Japanese, and it's legitimate if they are still struggling with English. So it's a proposal only for the advance class and not intermediate and beginners, optional...

Reina's English reading has dropped a level since she started Kumon because she now does more Japanese than English. Of course, the onus is on me to keep up her English reading but it's so hard to find books. She takes out books from the library out of interest rather than reading ability, which I think she should. But then I have to scramble around to find books at her level, which in Japan.... not so easy.

My children are definitely bilingual, but bi-literacy remains a greater challenge. I don't leave it up to school to provide enough of both. I have to supplement it. But oh... it's so much work. And right now, I'm a little tired of my kids...

Long school holidays always take a toll on my sanity. I either plan too much playdates that I don't even have time to cook or clean. Or I have too many "catch-up" days alone with the kids and go bananas. Rio's laziness and general attitude is driving me bonkers. He's rather give up on the hard level of a video game and play it. Amazing for a parent to yell, "No, you don't quit. You go back and finish that level."

And for myself? April is the month for me to get into shape. Core Rhythym is still too hard. I have to perfect the beginner DVD before I can move on. ALSO, it's moving for 50 minutes straight! which means I have to build up my stamina. Really, it made Boot Camp look easy. I think I'm going to do Boot Camp tonight. Dieting is going well too except for yesterday when we were all so starved, we ate ALL the meat you can EAT buffet... Except Reina who was too cranky to eat.

I am seriously looking forward to our Golden Week trip. Hope our ETC order goes through. Technically, we should get it by next week. If not, by the 26th... No cooking. No cleaning. I hope Nancy figures out a way to go. She deserves a vacation too. We had so much fun last year together.

Okay, now go start on the invisible suit story... Start on the tandoori chicken.