Sunday, November 22, 2009

Andersen Park in Chiba/ Reina's birthweek celebration

This is part two of Reina's birthweek celebration. The big party was with girls from her own grade. This was a sleepover with two of her favorite friends, Yuka and Maria, who are Rio's age! Instead of a fancy cake, Reina and I baked a chiffon cake (from a mix). It was the first time I made a chiffon cake and I had no idea they were BSing when they warned that the cake rises = A LOT! Still, it had colored candies inside, with whipped cream and strawberries, the girls and boy enjoyed it tremendously.

We also had cheese fondue with bread chunks, potatoes, broccoli, sausage, carrots. Tamami, Michiyo, Hiroshi and I also had wine and guacamole/chips. It was a nice little dinner party. Rio felt left out and actually cried when the girls wouldn't let him in their little tent. The three girls all slept on the sofa bed.

The next day, we went to a big park in Funabashi. I expected a 40-min. drive. It took about 90 minutes. Still, it was worth it. The park has great play areas outdoors and a children's museum section where they have shows, various crafts, a petting zoo, etc. Just everything!
Quiz: Rio is in the photo. Find him!
I just adore this picture. Yuka and Reina look so sweet and happy!

I love this picture. The girls had a great time and it shows!

Maria played older sister to the two girls. It was the first time Yuka met her but they quickly bonded.


Rio and Reina strutting their stuff at the adventure park. The previous weekend, we did an even more treacherous course with Hiro so they were aces at this one. The other one had water hazards...

Maria's curry dish.


Yuka's curry dish.

And Reina's. Michiyo and I thought it would be nice if they made something permanent to commemorate Reina's birthday so they made these clay dishes. Hiro had a wedding to go to so I was lucky that Michiyo agreed to sleep over and hang out with us for the day. The weather was perfect. We had yummy soft creams and milk mochi. The day was the last of a very busy social period that began with Jeannie and Jamie visiting from HK. We also had a blast with them, then a nice family weekend at Narita, followed by Reina's birthday events.
Last week, when I was struggling with finishing a long story and bogged down by having to refile my taxes... these pictures and memories helped me stay sane.