All my work deadlines are over. I did my shintaido exam today. I finally have goof off time so I celebrate my blogging. I did a lot of social things after my deadlines. Got to hang out with Michiyo, Keiko and Dawn. And this weekend, finally went to some social events from the new school. It takes me a while to warm up in a new setting I guess. Sat. bbq was great fun and all of us (except Rio) maybe are looking forward to hanging out with the Sato family. I will MAKE sure he treats Maria like a friend. Girls like Rio because he's so darn funny. But he ignores them, so some gets mad, like Maria. Reina adores her and she's a lovely girl.
The funniest thing about the bbq was that two women freaked out when they found out I was Rio's mom. They seriously thought he was Kenta Suga, and were convinced that he got too famous and transferred to an international school to kept his privacy!! Ever since Always -- Sunset on Third Street came out, he has been called Kenta Suga, but to think that people were actually convinced Rio was him ... pretty outlandish.
At Julie's party, I was a bit shocked to hear the extend of girl bullying that is going on in Reina's class. I was also very happy and proud to hear that Reina was never involved. In fact, she is nice to that girl even though she tells me she doesn't particularly want to be good friends. It explained why the girl's mom came up to me very friendly, introducing herself, almost thanking me. I know Reina doesn't want to go to her house for a playdate alone. Reina wanted to invite Julie and Mana over, maybe I can convince her to invite that girl and it may help.... I hate to see a kid so left out.
When I went in before Christmas, I know why the kids don't like that girl. She's obviously too spoiled at home and expects to be the center of attention ALL the time at school as well. She kept interrupting the speakers, she didn't listen for instructions and ruined her tattoo sticker and demanded a new one. She roughly pulled her lantern and it ripped, then she demanded a new one. I've seen her with her mom and she's the boss. Her mom is obviously distract and invites over whoever seems non-hostile but Reina said another girl said, "I'm not really friends with her, I'm just pretending." Okay, I know why I haven't gotten too close to many families... or join the Parent's Club. Reina and I are plenty satisfied hanging out with Salim and Yukiko -- and we, including Sara and Rio, all have a good time together.
And lastly, my exam. I don't know when it occurred to me that I wanted to start bohjutsu. I guess it always bothered me that since I had no experience in it, it was never an option open to me. Yes, it looks elegant and powerful. I know watching Nancy's exam last autumn made me determine to start. Jan. Feb was fine, I had time, got to go to a few practices. We played in the park.
But March is the busiest time of the year and I did not pick up my stick once. I dreaded my exam. I had to miss the exam prep workshop because of Rio's final performance. Since we went skiing last weekend, I didn't start practicing until this Tuesday. Monday I was too exhausted. I had visions of completely screwing up, even worse, not understanding the instructions. But I know if I gave up this time, I would always find another set of excuses EVERY time. And even if I looked like a complete amateur, by taking it, I would gain something. Otherwise, I would be a mom preoccupied with her family's achievements instead of my own. So I faxed off that darn form, was it on Wed?
Then Hiro taught me for an hour every night after the kids went to bed. I didn't even have an outside session until Sat. On Sat, my arms were sore and shoulders aching. Practice this morning felt good enough. But I gave my best performance at the exam. I felt calm because it felt like a privilege to even stand there. The guy I was taking it with was so energetic but gangly that it made me even more calm. I focussed well, wasn't nervous, just happy to be there. I was proud of myself. Proud that Hiroshi was proud. Happy that Ishii said I looked elegant and powerful. Hiro seemed it up well when he said that my hands were beginner bohjutsu but the rest of my body and movement showed years of shintaido experience.
This is the FIRST and the EASIEST exam. LOL And it took so much out of me. LOL Nancy going for her black belt is amazing. The stamina. The range of movements. My mind cannot process all that right now. I am actually looking forward to the next exams!! Of course, until they draw near. But I have another half a year. All I can say today is Yeah Me!!!!