Monday, June 8, 2009

My attempt at Ukiyoe, Boso no mura

The kids painting their own original Japanese crafts. Rio chose a hoytoko (comedian) mask and Reina a rabbit with a wobbly head.

Yes, I did it! I printed my own version of a famous Hiroshige ukiyoe print. Okay, so I did get a bit of grey on the sail and did every mistake amateurs do, but it's my own and I'm so proud of myself.


As a writer in Tokyo for over a decade, I can't believe I've never been to Boso no mura (look it up, there is a simple English page). It's near Narita Airport and so it's pretty tourist friendly with instructions and explanations in English. For next to nothing, you get to learn and make your own traditional Japanese craft!!!!


This was a 3-hour workshop and the seven participants each got our own print and wooden block and had to print the color onto the print. It is pure artisan work, not particularly creative, but requires a detailed dedication to follow instructions carefully and use your hands deftly. (Neither tasks I am good at...) In particular, the sponging process of creating color gradulation (sp?) fascinating.

These workshops are held three times a year, half the participates are addicts and aim to complete to entire eight prints. There are also a two-day workshops for people interested in figuring out the colors, etc. There is also a wood block carving workshop. The instruction is the best known ukiyoe printmaking still alive. A simply wonderful experience!!




And this was lunch. Fancy sushi rolling is a regional speciality of Chiba. Yes, there are also workshops for making them too!!



There are full-day workshops to make your own paper mache daruma or manekin cat! Great original designs!!!



Reina concentrating very hard.

An array of other masks available. Unlike the longer workshops which are by reservations only, this activity is a drop-in one.

The kids also enjoyed learning how to walk around on handmade bamboo stilts.

Hiroshi would love to make his own knife but unfortunately, reservations were full. So WE WILL BE BACK.
This is a highly recommended day trip for everyone interested in Japanese traditional things. BTW, I am writing a story on traditional Japanese crafts. It's 2,500 words and I always struggle with longer stories but the end product is usually worth it. Plug away!